DISCLAIMER

I am feeling compelled to write up a quick disclaimer, because, you know, I like my job, a lot, and I don't want to lose it due to a misunderstanding between me, you, and my wonderful school board (no sarcasm intended--I am so appreciative of my school board). The thoughts/opinions/ideas found within this blog are my thoughts/opinions/ideas and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts/opinions/ideas of my administrators or school board. And I feel I should remind you that one purpose of a blog is to reflect one's current thoughts/opinions/ideas, which depending on when you stumble across my writing, may no longer even reflect the thoughts/opinions/ideas that I currently hold, as I am constantly reflecting, learning, and evolving. So, let's get to it, shall we.

Risk: A ship in the harbour is safe . . . But that's not what ships were made for.

I saw this poster hanging in the hallways of Vimy Ridge Academy in Edmonton AB years ago and was compelled to write down the quote.

Over the years, I have drawn upon this quote as my own personal inspiration in various circumstances.

In university I used this quote as my philosophy of teaching, my desire being to prepare students for the future (not in the sense of "filling the empty vessel" but a true desire to teach them how to handle themselves).

Today I find myself applying this to my teaching, parenting, and relationship practices. Have I become anchored and supine? Perhaps. That's not to say that I'm necessarily doing things incorrectly, but can I be better?

That question, and the follow up question, "How can I be better?" will be the major focus of this blog.

It is my hope that this blog is not only my own reflections, but a collaboration of ideas, tips, suggestions, feedback, observations, and answers.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

An ARG for School--Would this interest your students?

So, I've decided to undertake the massive task of creating an ARG (Alternate Reality Game) for my students to follow.  It's going to be an extracurricular activity rather than a curricular one, and before you can ask, I'll give a brief rundown as to why.  First, this is year two for me of creating a Spring Extracurricular Activity.  I began last year with a geocaching inspired activity because I'd just learned of geocaching, had fun with it, and wanted to share it with my bored students.  We are a small school and students get bored at lunch.  We are a rural school and many kids, while they have lots of work to do, don't have a lot of opportunities to be involved in extracurricular activities.  And those who play school sports are itching for something to do in the spring when our sports teams are done for the year.  And so last year I undertook the task of creating 7 weeks of fun.  The response was completely underwhelming, and yet I was ecstatic that the small number of students that did participate were completely taken with the activity.  (Ha! So much for brief.)  This winter I had several students asking if I could put another activity together for them, and I said "of course" as though I already had it all planned out.  "Of course" I didn't.  So I began keeping my eyes open for new ideas.  ARG hit me like geocaching did and I became hooked on the idea.  I'm hoping to involve more students this time but if I don't, oh well.  Second, this is new territory for me.  I've never played an ARG, never seen an ARG, never created an ARG.  This will help me see the inner workings of the game and its full potential in a junior/senior high setting.  The games are designed for a huge population of people, typically on an national or international scale.  100 kids in one location is a significant modification. I personally feel better running it as extracurricular for the time being.  Third, I want students to get used to the idea and get a feel for the new experience before turning it into something that will have to be "evaluated" and "reported."  It seems unfair to grade students on something so out of their realm of experience, especially when it's not really something they can practice before doing for real.  This is their practice.  And fourth, learning shouldn't always be about marks and curriculum.  My plan for the ARG involves a lot of learning experiences but in a fun, nonthreatening environment and form.  I want kids to have fun and learn at the same time, not to be "forced" into a task.

So that's why I'm taking the extracurricular route.  Some of you are likely wondering at this point what exactly I mean when I say Alternate Reality Game.  But sorry, I have no intention on getting into that here.  What I am willing to do is link you to some of the info,  both from me on a different site, and from there to an education site that helped me understand how to use the game in a school setting.
Try this site: http://pwsdcofp.posterous.com/challenge-accepted-jen

Okay, for those of you who refused to click the link, I'll give you a one sentence explanation:  ARGs revolve around the telling of a story in both the real, tangible world, and the world of technology; it's not an RPG, instead players interact with the story as themselves.

What I'm really writing this post for is to get some feedback from you.  Please!  I've create the initial piece of the story tonight (not the only rabbit hole, but it is a rabbit hole that provides a piece of the storyline) and was hoping to get your thoughts for improvement.  Would this engage your students?  What would you change?  It should have a ring of reality but also a hint of the fictional nature.  Thanks in advance for your help.  Here it is:





This story begins like many others; in that regard it is not unique.  If that fact is enough to dissuade you from reading on then I will say sayonara to you right now. Goodbye, have a good life, it was good of you to get this far, so sorry to disappoint.  If, however, you are still reading, then I can promise you that this story will be like no other you have ever read . . . or should I say “lived?”

Gelda Natrule grew up like any normal kid does, if there is such a thing as normal.  And maybe “normal” is not the right word.  Perhaps I should say “ideal,” or, better yet, “typical.”  Yes, Gelda Natrule grew up like any typical kid does.  She played and went to school.  She got in trouble and did funny things that made her parents smile.  She spent time outdoors and played video games.  And when she grew up she wasn’t exactly sure what she wanted to be.  No, strike that, she did know:  she wanted to be a wife and mother, a business woman, a motivational speaker, and she wanted to work with kids and the environment.  She wanted it all.  So Gelda went out to accomplish her goals.

Sound familiar yet?

Yes? No?  Well maybe it’s not like many other stories.  Uh-oh, I hope not too many people stopped reading after the first three sentences. Oh well, they are the type that wouldn’t be interested in a good story anyways. I’m glad you’re still here.  And trust me, this will be unlike any other story experience you’ve ever had.

How do I know?  Well, because I’m the puppet master, the narrator, the one writing the story and pulling the strings.  But it’s not only that.  What’s really neat about this story is that you get to play along.  You can be a chapter in Gelda’s life.  You can interact with her.  Help her.  Rescue her?  Yes, but now I’m getting ahead of myself.  The story of Gelda’s life is only partially written, just like yours and mine.  I don’t know it all because she hasn’t lived it all.  And the part she is about to start living could involve you.  Because I’m the puppet master, I do know some of the future.  But the future is never constant.  We all have choices to make in life and those choices affect our lives and, unbeknownst to many, the lives of people we may not have even met yet. 

That is the case with you and Gelda.  I can tell you that Gelda grew up and has accomplished many of her dreams.  She runs a successful small business that produces and sells environmentally friendly cosmetics and beauty products that are 100% natural.  She graduated from the University of Alberta last year with a degree in Environmental Studies, and she tours around to schools to talk with students about environmental concerns and why students should be concerned.  She isn’t married yet and has no kids, but it’s still on her list. 

I can also tell you that Gelda has plans to visit your school, yes, Ridgevalley School, on Friday April 29th.   And furthermore I can tell you that she will soon be kidnapped.  I could even tell you by whom, but where would be the fun in that?  They don’t call me the puppet master for nothing.  What I can’t tell you is when this will happen or what will become of her.  That, in part, is up to you.  Are you the type of person to step up and help out a fellow human being, to stand up against men of poor ethics, and to protect the environment for your future and the future of your great-grandchildren?  If so, then things may yet turn out all right.  If not, I’m not certain what may become of Gelda. 

If you are intrigued, and I hope you are, there are two things you need to do.  First, plan to meet Gelda on Friday April 29th.  Second, be on the lookout for the red star.  The red star is my signature icon and more of this story about Gelda and you will be revealed when you see that icon.

No comments:

Post a Comment